School Notes – “Bowling Green Elementary: We Honor the Greatness in You!”
“Bowling Green Elementary: We Honor the Greatness in You!”
Emilie Allensworth, BGES Principal
Happy half-way through third quarter! It is so hard to believe fourth quarter is right around the corner. We have had a great start to second semester and I am certain the rest of this year will fly by. This article is packed with important information but also has a few quick reminders as well.
• Our Lost and Found table is shrinking but still has quite a lot on it. Please stop in to check through to see if anything belongs to your family.
• Remember, our school day begins at 8:10 a.m. Students arriving to class at that time or later are tardy, even if they are in the building eating breakfast. Please be sure you are getting your students to school on time.
• Watch for field trip information to be coming home. Thanks to our PTO, the teachers are able to plan some fun activities at the end of the year!
• Please remember to call no later than 2 p.m. with changes to your child’s dismissal plans. We need some time to communicate with teachers and to prepare your child to leave. Thanks!
• Our grade-level spelling bees have been going really well! Finalists have been identified in both fourth and fifth grade. Third graders face-off on Wednesday, Feb. 19. The final spelling bee with the top contestants from third, fourth, and fifth grade is at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 6 in the BGE Multi-Purpose room.
Retention Policy Refresher
It is the time of year where the teachers and I take close looks into the performance of our students. While we hope our kids are all meeting expectations, the reality is, we sometimes have students who need some additional help in the summer or even the following school year in the form of retention. I wanted to take the opportunity to refresh your memory on BGE’s retention policy as it is stated in our handbook.
“It is important for students in grades K-5 to understand that they are responsible for the successful completion of scheduled course work. Lack of participation, failure to complete or turn in assignments, and poor test performance is not acceptable. Grades earned in core classes (Reading, Writing/Grammar, Spelling, Social Studies, Math, Science) will be considered prior to promotion to the next grade level. Students who do not meet expected performance levels for two or more semester core classes will be required to successfully complete summer school before being promoted to the next grade level. Students who do not meet expected performance levels for both semesters of two or more core classes will repeat the grade level. Students earning grades below expected levels may also be required to participate in after school tutoring or homework programs.”
Please be in communication with your child’s teacher often to ensure they are being successful in all they do at school and are working up to their maximum potential.
PTO Club’s Choice Fundraiser
Our Club’s Choice Fundraiser Kick-Off Assembly was held on Friday, Feb. 7 for our entire student body. The students were told of the awesome incentives they could earn by making sales to help our school. Once again, we will have the ESPN Rise Above BMX Show with students who sell certain amounts receive VIP seating and autographed posters. Top selling classes will also get to participate in a ‘pig’ race as well! The students were very excited to get started on their sales which will be taking place until Feb. 18. Delivery of sold items will be on Wednesday, March 19 from 3:30 to 6 p.m. in the BGE multi-purpose room.
Thanks to our PTO for organizing this fundraiser for our school and for all of the wonderful things you do for us! Remember, PTO meetings are the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the BGE library. All are welcome to attend these kid-friendly meetings!
Thanks to everyone for being so supportive of our great school and I look forward to an amazing fourth quarter at BGE!