BG Times celebrates 141 years
This week’s Bowling Green Times issue marks the paper’s 141st volume – 141 years of local news that the city’s hometown paper has produced.
Since being established, the Times has kept readers abreast of the latest area happenings, breaking news, and highlights.
The Bowling Green Times newspaper has not always been known as such. Pike County’s favorite publication was originally established in 1874 in Curryville by a man named A.W. Robinson. At the time, the paper was titled as the “Pike County Express.”
In 1876, T.B. Morrison purchased the paper and relocated it to one of Bowling Green’s stately buildings just off the Square on Main Street.
After exchanging hands once again, William F. Mayhall bought the business in 1880 from J.C. Jamison for just over $1,000.
Mayhall, who previously worked as editor of the Frankford Monitor, substantially increased the number of subscriptions to the Times.
Throughout his tenure, those sales skyrocketed from fewer than 500 to upwards of 2,000 paid subscriptions.
The paper’s owner also oversaw operations in the two story building which housed the Times’ printing plant.
Pick up this week’s edition of the Times for the rest of the story!
Former Times owner Bonham Freeman (far left) and his employees in front of the old Times building.