ied at her home in Louisiana during the evening hours on Oct. 17, 2012. She was surrounded by her loving husband, Edgar L. Orchard, her daughter, Barri Orchard Obert, and her brother, Richard Arenson.
Mrs. Orchard was born to Jewish parents, Max and Ruth Arenson, on Dec. 27, 1931 in Kansas City. She had eight brothers and sisters, only one of whom survives. She attended Northeast Senior High School in Kansas City.
Always civic minded with a passion for the arts, she served on President Truman’s advisory committee for the architectural design of the Truman Memorial.
In 1957, she married Edgar L. Orchard of Webster Groves in Beverly Hills, Calif. The couple moved to Ladue, where they raised three daughters, Laura Orchard DeCamp, Barri Orchard Obert, and Caroline Orchard Cahill.
Mrs. Orchard was president of the Women’s Society of Washington University for many years.
Mrs. Orchard was also active in the arts, including the Municipal Opera, (The Muny), the St. Louis Museum of Art and the Symphony Orchestra. She generously donated to the arts, children’s causes and to the Elizabeth Gray Danforth Scholar-ship Fund. Mrs. Orchard was also quite active in fund-raising for the Barnes Jewish Hospital Development Fund.
Mrs. Orchard was active in Jewish daily life and at Temple Israel in Creve Coeur. She was very engaged in the activities of the Temple Israel Sisterhood.
Mrs. Orchard was President of Orchard Container Corporation for many years.
Around 43 years ago, the Orchard’s began residing on weekends at their farm in Louisiana. Twenty years ago the Orchards began living full time in Louisiana and became a vital and integral part of that community as well.
A small memorial service will be for the immediate family.
Mrs. Orchard is survived by her husband; three daughters; her brother; 12 grandchildren; 15 great grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
Donations can be made to The Woman’s Society of Washington University, The American Cancer Society, The Barnes Jewish Hospital Frontier Fund for Cancer and the Shriner’s Children’s Hospital of St. Louis.