- Your News
What is Relay For Life?
An Opportunity for Everyone Relay For life is a community gathering where everyone can participate in the fight against cancer. Teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event.
Relay For Life is an experience that brings together millions of people to raise much needed funds and awareness to help prevent cancer, save lives, and diminish suffering from the disease.
A Chance to Celebrate All survivors (anyone who has faced a cancer diagnosis) are invited to join us as our honorary guests in the Survivors’ Victory Lap, which opens the Relay For Life. Their strength and courage help the community see that cancer survivorship is real and celebrate the fact that we are making progress in the battle against cancer.
A Chance to Remember When the sun goes down, hundreds of luminaria light the way under the stars to remember those who have faced cancer – those we’ve lost, those still fighting, and those who have fought cancer and won. This ceremony of light symbolizes the hope and perseverance with which we all continue to fight, and helps us remember why we Relay.
A Chance to Fight Back Every dollar you collect, every person you tell, and every step you take helps in the fight against cancer. At Relay, there are other opportunities to fight back to. Opportunities to learn about cancer prevention, pledge to get healthy or quit smoking, share your story with your legislators, and get involved as a volunteer.
Benefits of Participating
• Relay For Life fosters team building and boosts morale. It gives your company an opportunity for friendly competition while coming together for a cause that touches everyone.
• Relay For Life offers your company the opportunity to make a positive statement about cancer survivorship, perhaps by participating in honor of an employee currently battling the disease.
• Your company will be associated with the American Cancer Society, the world’s largest and oldest voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer.
• Support your community in this overnight team event, filled with entertainment, exercise and inspiration.
• For more information on the Relay for Life of Pike County, log on to RelayForLife.org/pikecomo
• For more information about cancer, log on to cancer.org or call 1.800.227.2345.
Switch to our mobile site