Bowling Green Times

Follow Us On:

Top races drive turnout on April ballot

Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 4:55 pm

A fight for two seats on the Pike R-III Board of Education and a tax hike in support of the Bowling Green School District drove turnout in Tuesday’s elections in Pike County.
Bowling Green’s Proposition One passed, just barely. An incumbent on the Pike R-III Board was turned out in favor of a write-in campaign by a recently ejected board member. And Pike County filled out its first ever elected 911 Board.
Turnout in Pike County was a little over 20 percent in Pike County, a slight improvement on the 17 percent the county registered in 2018’s April election. The result was unevenly distributed around the county, falling into the single digits. The worst performing precinct, Buffalo D west northwest of Georgia Street, registered a little above 7 percent.
Meanwhile, precincts that voted in the hotly contested race for the Pike R-III board roughly doubled the county-wide average. More than 42 percent of registered voters in the Calumet F precinct, which contains Clarksville, cast a ballot.
When the last spectators left the top floor of the Pike County courthouse Tuesday night, the result of only one race was really in doubt: the second of two seats on the Pike R-III Board of Education.
Christy Kuntz had apparently taken the first seat by a wide margin. But it remained unclear Greg Talbert or Kimberly Hunter would take the second open position.
The pair had served together on the Board a few months before. In February, Talbert was removed from the board on the grounds that he had missed a series of board meetings and triggered a state law. He launched a write-in campaign to return to the board the day before the window to register as a write-in candidate expired. Linda Perrone, a candidate who had been campaigning with Kuntz, dropped her candidacy and told supporters to back Talbert.
The Pike R-III district includes parts of Lincoln County, which did not plan to count and reports its write-in votes until Monday — apparently delaying the results almost a week.
The uncertainty was compounded when election workers discovered

Social Media Posts from Local Businesses